Bronco Ink Publishing has put together an anthology of all-ages comic stories based on E. Nesbit’s A BOOK OF DRAGONS, which was originally published in 1900. With a cover by OFF REGISTRATION cover artist Daniel Govar and a plethora of talented comic creators from around the world, THE BOOK OF DRAGONS is 120 pages of amazing comics.
The stories are all completed and the publisher is raising funds via Kickstarter to cover printing costs for the book and extras as well as some marketing and backend publishing expenses.
The stories included in the collection are as follows:
- THE BOOK OF BEASTS, by Scott O. Brown and Amberin Huq, in which Lionel becomes king and accidentally unleashes a Dragon on his new subjects.
- UNCLES JAMES, OR THE PURPLE STRANGER, by Ricky-Marcel Pitcher and Kathryn Frizzell, where animals of various sizes, with the help of a Dragon, thwart a conspiracy.
- THE DELIVERERS OF THEIR COUNTRY, by Jonathan Clode and Russell Hossain, a story where heroes are not what they seem and the dragon invasion is imminent!
- THE ICE DRAGON, OR DO AS YOU’RE TOLD, by Marc Bryant and Mal Jones, a tale of wonders that befell on the evening of the eleventh of December, when they did what they were told not to do.
- THE DRAGON TAMER, by Lori Lapormado and John Andrey Portilla, which reveals the great truth of all Dragons.
- THE FIERY DRAGON, OR THE HEART OF STONE AND THE HEART OF GOLD by Charles Webb and Mal Jones in which we give you Dragons. In. Space.
- KIND LITTLE EDMUND, OR THE CAVES AND THE COCKATRICE by Shawn Aldridge and Amberin Huq, our final story where Edmund makes a bum deal, unleashing a Dragon where it doesn’t belong.
- THE ISLAND OF THE NINE WHIRLPOOLS, by Thacher Cleveland (hey that’s me!) and Russell Hossain, in which a dragon is defeated with math in a quest for true love.
I had a great time writing my story, even if I don’t have a love affair with math. It was nice to write a sweet little story with fantastic beasts, adventure, and that greatest adventure of all: true love. But enough about me, let’s meet the rest of the creative teams:
- Bronco Ink publisher and THE BOOK OF DRAGONS editor, A.C. Brown’s work has appeared in English translations of Osamu Tezuka’s great children’s manga Unico and Triton of the Sea, as well as on www.the-only-living-boy.com
- Shawn Aldridge–Portland, OR based writer/letterer. Current work includes Vic Boone and GoGetters (MonkeyBrain Comics).
- Scott O. Brown, is a Harvey Award winning comics creator from Mobile, AL. His most recent work has appeared in Heavy Metal Magazine and Off Registration.
- Marc Bryant is probably best known as the co-creator of Shangri-La from Image Comics and the constant collaborator of the artist Mal Jones.
- Thacher Cleveland is currently self-publishing the Winston & Churchill paranormal private investigator short story series, working on several comic projects, and is one of the hosts of the Super-Fly Comics & Games podcast. (okay, now enough about me)
- Jonathan Clode is a writer from Wales who co-edited the WWI anthology To End All Wars.
- Mal Jones is an Alexandria, VA based illustrator and designer. Recently he appeared with Marc Bryant in Off-Registration #4, available now for free!
- A veteran writer and narrative designer for both Ubisoft and Microsoft, Charles Webb now contributes to Nerdist and is the managing editor for FreakSugar.com.
- Kathryn Frizzell has worked on Absentee by Inverse Press and The Kill Joy Club by Icarus Wing Productions.
- John Audrey Portilla is a Colombian comic book artist. He has worked as an illustrator designing characters and developing illustrated children’s material for Colombian publishers, also has worked for Heroic Tendencies Studios and for MTG Publishing from Spain.
- Amberin Huq is a freelance illustrator who lives and works in London U.K, she regularly illustrates for Stew magazine and has most recently created work for the children’s theatre production ‘When Spring Comes’.
- Ricky-Marcel Pitcher is a London based comics writer, currently working on his martial arts-horror-adventure epic ‘Zombies Hate Kung Fu’, check out www.VeryGraphicNovels.com for more info.
More information about writer Lori Lapomardo and artist Russell Hossain will be coming shortly.
If you like fantasy, dragons, all ages comics, fun, true love, space, ice, math, fantastic beasts, conspiracies, invasions, anthologies, small press stuff or things that are just plain great please consider backing this Kickstarter! All of the stories have been completed and Bronco Ink has done some great stuff with their previous collections (including Monstrology, assembled and co-edited with Rachel Deering, which I also have a story in *cheap plug*)
So yeah. Help us bring you better, awesome comics!